If you need a quick, healthy breakfast option, you’re in the right place. These super yummy, low-carb breakfast eggs cups are the best! They are crazy easy to make, and you can freeze them for quick breakfasts all week long.
So, the first step is to preheat your oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Yes, do this first because your oven will probably still be preheating by the time you’re done whipping this up. It’s that quick!
Next, you’re going to prep your ingredients. You’ll need eggs, bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, parsley, cheese, and ham.
Ok, you really just need to slice up the veggies and shred the cheese. You don’t really need to do anything to the ham or eggs, but you can get them out.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can totally customize it. If you don’t like yellow bell peppers, use red. If you don’t like green onion, use red. And, you can omit or add ingredients based on your preferences.
You can use lots of veggies, no veggies, sprinkle cheese on top or leave it out.
As long as you have eggs and ham, do what you want, and the recipe will still work.
Once your veggies are prepped and your cheese is shredded, grab your bowl and crack the eggs.
I pretty much only use my Pyrex bowl when I make this. I love it! It’s great for making this kind of stuff because it doesn’t warp or stain. And, the best part is it’s dishwasher safe!
Once the eggs are cracked I like to quickly whisk them together before I add the other ingredients. It’s easier to mix everything in if the yolks are already broken.
Then, you literally just dump the cheese and veggies in. No particular order.
I also add garlic, salt, and pepper. You might even want to try some paprika or chili powder. Remember, customize!
Next, mix it all together and your filling is done.
Now for lining the muffin tins. Think of the ham the same way you would think of cupcakes liners. Instead of a paper lining for cupcakes, you’re using ham as a yummier liner for the eggs
You’ll want to have a ham “well” that can hold the egg filling. It’s a little tricky at first, and I still sometimes break the ham when I do this, but, it still tastes good even if it doesn’t look perfect. I promise!
I’ve also noticed that as long as I’m using a nonstick muffin pan, nonstick spray doesn’t make much of a difference. The egg cups are super easy to scoop out of the pan when they’re done. But, if no stick spray makes you feel better, go ahead.
Once your tin is lined, you’re good to start filling it up.
I pour the egg mixture right from the Pyrex bowl into the muffin tin. (Another Pyrex perk – the spout!!) But, using a 2/3 measuring cup to scoop it in works just as well.
Once the ham liners are all filled, pop the tray in the oven (400° Fahrenheit) and bake for 15 – 18 minutes.
The egg cups are done when the ham has crisped around the edges and the egg is cooked. So easy! (And yummy!)
If you plan to eat them all right away, dig in. If not, cool and store. I keep them in the fridge for a day or two but anything beyond that I’d pop them in the freezer to preserve freshness.
From the fridge I reheat in the microwave (two at a time) for about a minute. You can expect to double that if you’re reheating from frozen.
I hope you enjoy these super easy, super healthy, low-carb egg cups! Once you try them you will be converted. And, you will never have to wonder what’s for breakfast again!
Super Easy, Low-Carb Breakfast Egg Cups
If you need a quick, healthy breakfast option, you’re in the right place. These super yummy, low-carb breakfast eggs cups are the best! They are crazy easy to make and you can freeze them for quick breakfasts all week long.
Makes: 12 Egg Cups
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 10 eggs
- 1/3 cup diced bell pepper (use whatever color you’d like)
- 1/3 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of sliced fresh parsley
- 12 slices black forest ham (medium to thick slices)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- For the egg filling: Crack the eggs into a medium sized glass or stainless steel mixing bowl. Lightly whisk eggs until all yolks are broken and gently combined.
- Mix in bell pepper, green onion, mushrooms, cheddar cheese, garlic flakes, pepper, salt, and parsley. Stir until evenly combined. Set mixture aside.
- For the ham lining: Using a 12-cup, non-stick muffin tin, gently line each cup with one slice of ham. The ham should cover the sides and bottom of each “well”.
- Pour 1/3 cup of egg mixture into each ham-lined cup.
- Bake at 400° Fahrenheit for 15 – 18 minutes. The egg cups are done when the ham is crisp around the edges and the egg has cooked.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Using a spoon, scoop around the edge of each cup before popping it out of the tin. Serve warm.
- For storage: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 – 2 days. If storing longer, freeze to maintain freshness.